Saturday, May 28, 2011

Derek and Alex and the art of faking it

Brian Cashman confronted Jeter about his broken relationship with A-Rod in 2006, asking the captain to fix it for the sake of the team.

From "The Captain: The Journey of Derek Jeter"

One friend of Jeter's who agreed with Cashman's take tried to persuade the shortstop to make more of an effort to bring A-Rod in from the cold. "Now you're sounding like everyone else," Jeter told the friend. "Don't you think I've tried? I try, and sometimes I've just got to walk away and come back and try again, but you know I've tried. And every time I try, he'll do something that pushes me away."

Don Mattingly, hitting coach and former captain, told Yankee officials he tried giving Jeter the same advice. Mattingly could not stand teammate Wade Boggs, once his chief rival in Boston.

"But I faked it with Boggs," Mattingly said he had told Jeter. "And you have to fake it with Alex."

It was a tough sell. One Yankee official said he was afraid to approach Jeter on the subject of his relationship with A-Rod "because it would've been the last conversation I ever had with Derek. I would've been dead to him. It would've been like approaching Joe DiMaggio to talk to him about Marilyn Monroe."

from "The Captain"

No comments: